Alphabets Got Talent
48 hours and lots of Morse Code.
Morse Code Game Jam

Alphabets Got Talent is the product of a 48 hour Morse Code Game Jam by our team of two Parsons and two New York University students in partnership with The Adaptive Design Association and Google. The goal of the project was to teach our client Morse code in a fun, interactive way using topics they were interested in. Our team was paired with an Adaptive Design client who had limited motor functions, so we used two simple switches, usable by our client, to represent the dot and dash of Morse code. These switches then utilized the Google Gboard Morse keyboard to control the output of letters. In the game, the user uses the switches to type a letter in Morse Code and an animal with the corresponding name would appear “dancing” and making animal noises. For example an elephant appearing when the user enters a dit (dot), the Morse code for “e.”

client

Olivia | Adaptive Design Association and Google

duration

September 13, 2018 - September 16, 2018

team

Michael Center, Beckett Melville, Lauren Owen, Akshansh Chaudhary

technology

Unity, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe After Effects

How it worked
the process
Using Morse Code, input a letter (combination of dits and dats) and receive a dancing animal that starts with the same letter

The first step was getting to know our client, Olivia. We interviewed those that worked with her and got information from her family about her interests and ability level. Understanding that she was new to Morse Code and loved America's Got Talent and princesses, we decided on a game that would incorporate dancing animals in Olivia's magical kingdom

We separated into the teams of game and assets. Game was lead by Michael as he built the interactions in Unity while Assets was led my myself in our collection of the background, characters, and sounds.

Once procured, I was able to design the background setting and customize the princess to resemble Olivia (blonde, wheel chair, and favorite blue dress) while Akshansh animated the dancing animals and Beckett edited the animal roars.

After 4 or 5 iterations, we developed a final prototype that we tested and were fortunate enough to be given custom toggles that resemble the dit and dat of morse code. This added further to the visualization to reinforce Olivia's learning as she becomes familiar with this new way to communicate.

Olivia was unable to attend the presentations, but we were able to let the other children present play with the game where we received great feedback!